Originally a former market settlement. From 1235 - after receiving city rights, it became the center of the charter city. In the surface of the Market Square, the line of the former buildings before the fire in 1819 is marked with a red block. The so-called "Circle of donors", or 78 plates with the names of cities and companies that have contributed to the restoration of the old town in recent years. Today, the Market Square is a place where concerts, parades, events and fairs take place.
Old Town Hall
It was situated on the Market Square, after a fire in 1819, it was rebuilt at Boleslawa Chrobrego street in a neoclassical shape according to the design of Schildner. The town hall was built in 1830. It was extended in 1988 and 1916.
In the building are located the Registry Office and the City Council of Gniezno. In addition, there also there cultural institutions such as the home of the Greater Poland Insurgent, a branch of the Municipal Cultural Center and the Tourist Information Center.
Building of the Municipal Cultural Center
At Lubienskiego Street 11, is the seat of the former Masonic Lodge of the "Crowned Cube". One of the members of this lodge was Franz Machatius, mayor of Gniezno. He took the position of mayor in 1852 and it was during his tenure that a number of investments were made in the city. Among other things, many public buildings, municipal plants, a hospital were built, and public transport developed. The Masonic Lodge in Gniezno was very active. Currently, the building houses the Municipal Cultural Center. Inside the old part of the building, the old, ceremonial layout of the rooms has been preserved.